Friday, December 3, 2010

Snow and freezing temperatures

Yes.
The Netherlands during winter is VERY cold.
And it has been flurrying for a couple of days now.
But today I saw some really amazing things.
Like the biggest snow flakes I've seen in my entire life.
I'm not kidding, those things were like an inch wide...
It was truly amazing.
At first, I was working helping Rico with some of the mail he has to deliver.
And it was just cold.
Then it started snowing a little, and they were tiny, like 2 mm wide snow flakes.
But they were PERFECT snow flakes! Had a perfect shape, something I had never seen.
And then suddenly the blizzard came.
And the kinda-sunny weather of the morning was gone, and there was wind and colder temperatures.
You know what feels absolutely weird? To go home, notice its -2 outside, and feel that its not that cold.
Yes. It didn't feel that cold. Why? Because during the blizzard it was down to -8 and felt like -16, again.
Pretty much the entire week has been cold.
I've done things I never thought I would do.
I rode a bike to the market in the snow. And more than once too. Even rode a bike to deliver mail, with two boxes full of mail on the bike bags. Worst thing is that I left my snow goggles inside, so all the snow was hitting my face. Oh, and the Dutch wind is still here, and it doesn't help at all, as you would imagine.
The days so far have been pretty good. I called the tax service office and next week I'm getting a number thing like the Social Security Number so that I can work, since the TNT Mail needs a lot of people for the holiday season. Then I'll be making some Euris! Hahaha, at least I'll have something else to do.
I went to babysit with Esmee some more, Nina is now smiling more to me than before, pretty cool! And at the house where we used to babysit on Thursdays now the little boy, whose name I forget but is like Thimad or something like that, was talking with me in Dutch and showing both of us his new firetruck. Also his sister, Feline, was talking with me using all her English she had learnt in school so far and we played Qwartet, a card game where you have to complete sets of 4 cards. I don't think I even have to say that it was loads of fun.
Anyways, on to more personal things, I've really come to the conclusion that I want to keep studying Industrial Engineering. I have been reading more and more of it. I find myself reading previews on Google Books, its actually a whole new thing for me. Really interesting all the things I read about it. Mostly what I like is Logistics, Supply Chain Management, and Ergonomics. A lot of it is because of my work as an interpreter. And for those who don't understand, its all because I see all the patients seem to get hurt because of a lack of importance in the workplace to safety. Sure, big corporations have lots of board for safety and all that. But I believe a lot more places should have safety regulations. And hospitals, don't even get me started. Not just hospitals, but any kind of clinic. The use of resources is SOOO inefficient. Can I just say that if Duke or WakeMed or Rex hired an Industrial Engineer then a lot of their nurses wouldn't get hurt and their doctors would have things to do and the patients would be taken care of much quicker? It would be cheaper and better for EVERYBODY.
I don't know how to explain it more. It's just such a lack of organization. And that motivates me to go and improve it. Yes, sure, it works. But does it really work? Is it effective and efficient? Could it be improved? Definitely. Everything can and should be improved.
I have some pictures to upload, but I'm not exactly sure how to put them on the blogpost. So I'll put them on Facebook, and if you're my friend you'll be able to see them, hehe.
Tomorrow is SinterKlass and we're going to buy some gifts and on Sunday I think we are going to have a game of trading gifts and stuff, sounds like it will be fun. I've already bought all the gifts I need to buy, pretty sure, well, except for Romeo, who wants chocolate so I'll get it tomorrow. Sunday we are also going to go watch Harry Potter! Finally, haha.
Anyways, I think this is the end of a good week overall. Found out about the number to work, had good dinners with Esmee's family and grandparents, even tutored them in English! Also called my grandmother to say hi, its always nice to talk with her.
Hopefully next week things will keep getting better.
I guess I'll write something on Sunday or Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment